OVERVIEW: Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R), an educational nonprofit organization based in Boston and dedicated to advancing the highest ethical standards in the conduct of biomedical, social science, and behavioral research, seeks a full-time Staff Accountant. Founded in 1974, PRIM&R accomplishes its mission through education, membership services, professional certification, public policy initiatives, and community building, and has a diverse membership of 4000+ individuals from 52 countries. PRIM&R is conveniently located in Boston's historic Back Bay, within walking distance to several transportation options, the Public Garden, and a variety of restaurants. PRIM&R embraces the concept of a respectful workplace as a key part of its success. The successful candidate must be able to wear multiple hats, work independently, and interface with all levels of staff, management, board of directors and constituents. The successful candidate will also have an integral role in the execution of PRIM&R’s strategic plan. PRIM&R offers a competitive salary, full benefits package, and flexible work schedule.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Staff Accountant is responsible for performing and managing all aspects of PRIM&R’s accounting operations. The Staff Accountant will prepare journal entries, monthly and year-end closings, bank reconciliations, general ledger reconciliation, and grant administration. Duties also include invoicing, cash receipts, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and revenue recognition. Essential functions include ensuring appropriate accounting controls, regulatory compliance and GAAP compliance, recommending and implementing accounting system improvements, preparing all analyses and documentation for the annual financial audit, preparation of annual budget, producing monthly/quarterly/year-end financial statements, managing cash flow and providing cash flow projections, providing monthly forecasts, and more. Essential duties and responsibilities are detailed below. Other duties may be assigned.
- Process vendor payments, reimbursements for expenses, and customer refunds.
- Audit contracts, orders, vouchers, and reconcile transactions prior to payment (i.e. American Express).
- Assign general ledger account codes for all vendor payments and reimbursements.
- Review general ledger account codes assigned by staff to ensure that expenses are assigned to the correct programs.
- Manage Chart of Accounts and maintain integrity of the accounting system.
- Prepare bank deposits and deposit monies with banking institution.
- Manage lockbox activity to ensure that PRIM&R has received all supporting documentation.
- Work with operations assistant and other staff to ensure accurate processing of all cash receipts within netForum and Sage.
- Monitor cash flow.
- Identify payment discrepancies and resolve issues.
- Review and post/close all netForum batches to ensure that the general ledger account codes are assigned to the correct programs.
- Import netForum activity into Sage through GL Interface.
Credit and Collections
- Responsible for the collection efforts of outstanding accounts receivable.
- Maintain restricted list for accounts with a history of bad debt.
- Research accounts with credit balances and issue check requests for reimbursement.
- Train operations assistant and supervise his/her work on collections.
- Process billing adjustments.
Payroll and Employee Benefits
- Prepare documentation needed to submit payroll on a semi-monthly basis.
- Manage and update employee benefit time reporting records on a semi-monthly basis.
- Prepare salary, tax, and insurance allocations on a monthly basis through journal entries.
- Serve as staff contact for Professional Employer Organization (PEO), along with director of operations.
Other Accounting and Finance-Related Functions
- Post monthly accruals and adjusting journal entries.
- Ensure preparation of and timely compliance with required MA Annual Report, 1099s, Form 990, Form PC, etc.
- Serve as organizational lead on annual financial audit.
- Manage the monthly close process. Prepare financial statements monthly for review by senior management. Review financial statements and prepare analysis for management monthly.
- Reconcile Main Operating and Money Market bank statements on a monthly basis.
- Reconcile Revenue, Accounts Receivable, and Refund accounts between Sage and netForum on a monthly basis.
- Manage organizational insurance policies (i.e. D&O, General, Professional Liability, Commercial Umbrella, W/C, Employee Dishonesty) to ensure that PRIM&R is adequately covered against losses and liability.
- Collaborate with director of operations and finance consultant to document and implement operational accounting procedures. Document all changes to operational accounting-related procedures and policies.
- Prepare account reconciliations, general journal entries and work papers to close the books monthly.
- Prepare financial analysis for management as needed for special projects, grants, contract and/or Board requests.
- Manage Cash Flow in all cash based accounts.
- Serve as point of contact for contract finance consultant.
- Maintain the integrity of the accounting database (Sage).
- Maintain data integrity with various ancillary systems that provide data.
- Develop and manage the annual budget.
- Other finance related duties as needed.
- May process conference registrations (if needed).
- Process customer cancellations and substitutions.
- Process customer billing adjustments.
- Collaborate with membership staff to process membership applications and renewals (if needed).
- Serve as contact for staff on budget and accounting issues.
- Assist Human Resources, as needed, with employee on-boarding/off-boarding, managing benefits, recruitment, etc.
- Special projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field is required. At least 3-4 years of experience in an accounting department and familiarity with the entire accounting cycle is desired. The candidate must possess analytical, numerical, and interpersonal skills. Accuracy and attention to detail are essential in the performance of responsibilities. The ideal candidate is energetic, motivated, detail oriented, flexible, and is able to juggle multiple tasks. This individual must have a willingness to follow procedures and an ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment. Strong written and oral communication skills as well as superior customer service skills are essential. The finalist must be able to manage confidential information with discretion. Must be computer literate with experience using Microsoft Office programs and have advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel. Proficiency with accounting software is required. Nonprofit experience and experience with netForum and Sage50 a plus.
SALARY & BENEFITS: PRIM&R offers a competitive, full benefits package (medical, dental, 401k, paid time off, paid holidays, use of on-site fitness center, flexible work schedule, summer flextime hours and more). This is a full-time position. This is not a remote position, relocation is not available. The salary is commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Send your cover letter and resume (with salary requirements) to email@example.com (please put “Staff Accountant” in subject heading). No phone calls, please.
ABOUT PRIM&R: Visit www.primr.org for more information.